Feeling a little left out this week? All those beach getaway photos being posted by friends in your Facebook feed got you wanting to press the ‘Block’ button and tell them to go bury their heads in the sand?
Don’t despair! West Michigan has plenty of ways to help you capture some of that spring break spirit!
Here are 10 fun ways for you to have your own Spring Break in & around West Michigan!
1. Instead of Daytona Beach, FL … A Day at the beach anywhere along West Michigan’s beautiful lakeshore! Sure, it’s a little early yet and the water will be much too cold even for dipping your toes. But the sand will still be sugar-soft, and all that sunshine and blue sky will help wash away those winter blahs for good!
2. Instead of margaritas on the beaches of Cancun … Margaritas at La Cantina Mexican Grill on East Paris just north of 28th St in Grand Rapids! This joint has some of the best Mexican fare around, served up in a fun atmosphere complete with a full bar and plenty of free chips and bean dip while you wait for your meal. And the margaritas are positively to die for!!
3. Instead of a flight down south … Kalamazoo Air Zoo Aviation Museum & Science Education Center! This “indoor amusement park” has over 60 airplanes and spacecraft to see and explore, plus an indoor amusement park and interactive exhibits. Fun for all ages!
4. Instead of Miami Night Clubbing … A night at any one of Grand Rapids’ downtown clubs! From Billy’s Lounge to The B.O.B., Flanagan’s to Founders, Downtown Grand Rapids has plenty of bars and clubs to keep the night young for hours on end.
5. Instead of Sea World at Orlando, FL … Pet the stingrays at John Ball Zoo’s Stingray Lagoon! This unique exhibit lets visitors get up close and personal with gentle cownose stingrays and even white spotted bamboo sharks. When you’ve had your fill of sea creature fun, you‘ll enjoy exploring the rest of the John Ball Zoo!
6. Instead of Golfing at Hilton Head … Simulated golf at Maple Hill Golf Course in Wyoming! While it will be another few weeks yet before West Michigan’s outdoor courses open for the season, Maple Hill’s simulators are open seven days a week and give you 40 “state of the art” course to choose from.
7. Instead of the Glitz & Glamour of Las Vegas Casinos … Gun Lake Casino! The “Jackpot Capital of Michigan” is just a short stint from Grand Rapids down US-131 and provides visitors an incredible casino resort experience that will make being “stuck at home” feel more like a lucky vacation getaway!
8. Instead of a week at Disney World … A weekend at Great Wolf Lodge! OK, maybe we’re pushing it now. When it comes to Disney World, probably nothing compares to the real deal. But Great Wolf Lodge makes an incredible “staycation” destination. This indoor water park features everything from towering waterslides to toddler splash pads, plus restaurants, kid spas, an arcade, mini golf course and more.
9. Instead of a beachside spa resort … A Spa Escape at the J.W. Marriott! The Marriott’s “Ultimate Spa Experience” package includes an overnight stay with your sweetie at the Riverview King Room in Downtown Grand Rapids, two signature Spa Services, $100 in jbucks to use at participating area dining establishments, and complimentary valet or self-parking.
10. Instead of Cocoa Beach, FL … Cocoa on the beach of Lake Michigan! Get bundled up, fill a thermos with your favorite hot beverage, then gather up the family and head out to enjoy a chilly but cozy sunset on any one of West Michigan’s beautiful lakeshore beaches. Sure to be a unique and wonderful spring break experience like no other!