If you’re a Grand Rapids resident, you’ve no doubt seen the infamous “Map of Grand Rapids” that’s been circulating its way through local media outlets and social media sites over the past few days …
Understandably, that map has stirred up quite a bit of controversy, both in the real estate sector and among the general public at large. Because we at SVG Real Estate Firm pride ourselves on our intimate knowledge and fondness for all corners of Grand Rapids and its surrounding neighborhoods, we decided to create a Grand Rapids area map of our own, based on our own experiences buying and selling property and counseling real estate clients throughout Grand Rapids and the greater Grand Rapids communities.
Here follows SVG’s very own “Map of Grand Rapids” … (Scroll to see correlating neighborhood descriptions below map image.)
1. Fruit Capital of Michigan – Peach Ridge Ave, Fruit Ridge Ave … With names like this, the living’s got to be good! Fruit Ridge is home to some of West MIchigan’s most fruitful and delicious orchards along with Old Orchard Juice Company. Take a bite out of life!
2. Love Your Neighbor – The Jenison area is best known for its community-centric neighborhoods and close-knit ties between residents, along with wonderful schools. Even its downtown area gets a little lovin’ each year by volunteer groups and local businesses who help keep it beautifully maintained.
3. Big Scoops City – Perhaps best known for the famous ice cream brand, Hudsonville is also home to wonderful schools and comfortable homes in quiet cul de sacs or countryside lots. Hudsonville homeowners enjoy the sweet side of life!
4. Splash Town – When the weather turns warm, local folks sprint to Walker’s Millenium Park for relief from the heat. Tubing, swimming and cascading down towering waterslides are just some of what young and old alike will enjoy at the giant waterpark. Winter blues got you down? Head to the Walker Ice & Fitness Center for some skating fun!
5. Fly Ball! – Residents in this area of Comstock Park are within spittin’ distance to Fifth Third Ballpark along with the White Pine Trail and proximity to the majestic Grand River.
6. Arnie’s Headquarters – Slice of pie? Chocolate cake? Sweet roll or two? You can have all that and more at the original location of Arnie’s Bakery located in this vibrant and walkable area just on the outskirts of downtown which is home to a wide array of sidewalk shops, cafes and more.
7. ZOO CREW – This northwest corner on the outskirts of downtown Grand Rapids is home of the John Ball Zoo and its many wild animals. It also happens to be the home of SVG Real Estate Firm. Hmmmm … Merely a coincidence, or do you think there’s something more to that?
8. Convenience Communities – Enjoy a quiet suburban existence but still want to be close to everyday conveniences? The Wyoming neighborhoods that lie west of US-131 between 28th and 44th Streets offer the good old fashioned comforts of suburbia with plenty of supermarkets, drugstores, specialty shops and dining spots within a short drive or even walking distance!
9. Metro Health Home – You know you’re in good hands when you live this close to quality healthcare. Metro Health Hospital serves Grand Rapids’ southwest territory and consists of a Cancer Center, Childbirth Center. Family Practice and Emergency Services, Neurosciences and more to serve area residents well.
10. Big Cow Blue Ribbon – Blue Ribbon schools and a life-sized cow statue at the center of downtown. That’s Byron Center in a nutshell. The bigger picture is beautiful homes on large countryside lots with the convenience of favorite shopping & dining destinations nearby. And yes, wonderful schools!
11. Small-Town Downtown – A bustling and picturesque downtown is just a small part of the delightful Rockford community which runs along the Rogue River. Residents of Rockford enjoy homes that bring the best of the great outdoors right outside their window with convenience shopping and dining nearby plus wonderful schools.
12. WBF – A.K.A. “Whitecaps Ballfield” and “Winter Beer Fest!” Yep, this area of Comstock Park is proud to call itself home to the West Michigan Whitecaps along with what may very well be one Grand Rapids’ most anticipated festivals, the Winter Beer Fest! Plentiful walking trails that meander along the Grand River are a delight for residents winter, spring, summer or fall.
13.Riverside Park Pathways – Residents of Riverside Park enjoy the best of both worlds – an idyllic park-like setting along the Grand River combined with proximity to the excitement and energy of downtown. beautiful walking trails will lead you north or south about as far as you want to go, but residents of the area find they won’t want to stray for too long.
14. Big City Downtown – This is it. The center of it all. The place where people from all over West Michigan come to work, play and ArtPrize. All the excitement of Downtown Grand Rapids lies literally right outside their front door for those who make their home here in any of its many historical houses or city condos. An urban dwellers’ paradise!
15. Reeds Lake Living – Lovely neighborhoods dot the landscape surrounding Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids where along with recreational opportunities offered by this beautiful all-sports lake, EGR residents also enjoy plentiful perks including Gaslight Village, lively community events and award-winning schools.
16. Exercise, Eat & Enjoy – Home to the Salvation Army Kroc Center along with a number of renowned area dining spots including Real Food Cafe and Sweet Mellisa’s cafe, Alger Heights, Garfield Park and the surrounding neighborhoods put residents conveniently within walking distance to all of these great destinations and more including parks, a community garden and numerous churches.
17. College in the Village – Calvin College makes its home in this neighborhood that abutts the well-loved Breton Village, a row of specialty dining, grocery and retail shops that is the heart of the area.
18. Stay, Play or Fly Away – Lively suburbs adorn the city of Kentwood where numerous playgrounds, bike trails and the city’s Parks & Rec Department give residents plenty of options for having fun. Woodland Mall and a plethora of popular chain restaurants are also hallmarks of this friendly neighborhood. Gotta catch a flight to elsewhere for work or holiday? Enjoy a short drive to the Gerald R. Ford International Airport, located right in the city.
19. Golfer’s Delight – Both the Stonewater Country Club & Briarwood Back Golf Courses give residents of Caledonia Township plenty of opportunity to flex their golfing muscle.
20. Resort Town – Sun, Ski, Cycle, Swim … There’s an activity for every season for residents of Cannonsburg! The Cannonsburg Ski Area is the area’s obvious wintertime hotspot, and when the snow melts, bring on the water sports! Bostwick, Silver and Murray Lakes all offer residents plenty of ways have fun in the summer sun. There are lots of cottages here with happy homeowners who enjoy them by the season or all year round,
21. Celebration Central – Residents of Grand Rapids Charter Township enjoy quick and easy access to a host of delights located in “Knapp’s Corners”, a one-stop-shop feast for the senses that includes Celebration Cinema and IMAX Theater, Meijer, D&W, PF Chang’s and Ming Ten Asian cuisine, Starbucks, The Melting Pot and more. You may never want to go back home!
22. Philanthropy Along the Thornapple – Home to Amway, one of the area’s largest and most philanthropic corporate entities, picturesque Ada along the Thornapple River has a landscape that will take your breath away – historical landmarks, beautiful parks and miles of trails are just a few of the gifts Ada has to offer.
23. New Build Boom Town – New developments are rising up in this area along the M-6 highway, which was previously too remote to make a suitable neighborhood. Today, new homes that sparkle with that “just-built” squeaky-clean shine are popping up everywhere, and lucky residents enjoy the combination of convenient highway proximity and country-like setting that the area offers.
24. A River Runs Through It – Where the Grand River and Flat River intertwine is where Lowell residents enjoy a pastoral life with plenty of fresh air and open country to liven up the senses. With a mix of new developments and established neighborhoods, Lowell is a popular destination for many.
25. Quiet Corners – Shh! Did you hear that? That’s the sound of nothing – except maybe some birds, a bit of wind in the trees and the gurgle of the passing Thrornapple River. Residents in this area of Caledonia cherish its solitary peace & quiet – this is the place to come when you want to get away from it all while enjoying all the comforts of home!
No matter where you choose to live in Grand Rapids or throughout West Michigan, you’re sure to find one of the most beautiful, vibrant, community-focused and friendly areas in the entire country. That’s why so many of us make our homes here, launch our careers or choose to raise families, and stay here for a lifetime. That’s why so many of us smile every time we get to say, “I’m from Grand Rapids!”
For more information about neighborhoods in Grand Rapids and the surrounding areas, please contact SVG Real Estate Firm at (616) 439-1927.