Selling this Spring? NOW is the Time to Get Your Home Ready for the Market!
Are you waiting for the weather get nice before tackling those spring-cleaning projects in preparation for putting your house on the market? Don’t wait! The spring home selling season begins earlier than many people think – like while there’s still snow on the ground. If you want a for sale sign in the yard right just as the market heats up with buyers, NOW is the time to get your house ready for it.
Here are a few simple “spring cleaning” projects you can easily tackle while snowbound!
1. Wash Your Windows – The outside part will have to wait, of course, but for now you can make the inside sparkle with the help of some simple window-cleaning supplies and maybe a ladder – to reach the tall ones!
2. Repaint a Few Rooms – Time to take a good, hard look around and be honest with yourself. Do the colors you chose for your favorite living spaces reflect your personal tastes a little too much? Bright colors that pop are great and a chalkboard wall might be intriguing but experience has shown that it’s the more neutral colors that appeal to potential buyers – it makes it easier for them to envision themselves in their own “stuff” in the home.
3. Put Down New Flooring – Put your handyman hat on and get ready to tackle a great home improvement project that can really revitalize the look of your kitchen, bathroom or anywhere solid-surface flooring is giving your home a worn or dated look. Linoleum and laminate both offers plenty of affordable yet stylish options. Hardwood installs are more complicated, however, and best left to the experts!
4. Install New Lighting – This is a relatively easy and inexpensive DIY project that can put a whole new shine on your home (no pun intended!). Look for simple pieces that best accent the style of your home – i.e. traditional, casual, contemporary.
5. Declutter – You’re stuck indoors anyway – why not clear out some of that junk! Send the kids and spouse out for a Saturday afternoon matinee and launch a complete room-by-room mission. You’ll have more space to enjoy those long days inside, and the whole place will have a lighter, more open feel once the home lists. A good rule of thumb – if you haven’t seen, worn or used something in at least 6 months (save for seasonal items), it’s probably time to find a new home for it. Salvation Army, Goodwill and Once Upon a Child are all great outlets for your gently used “stuff.”
For more information about selling your home, please contact SVG Real Estate Firm at (616) 439-1927