Are you thinking about purchasing your first ever home? Luckily for you, now is still a great time to buy, and here at Steve Volkers Group, we want to make that dream become a reality for you! At this point, you are most likely ready both emotionally and financially to make this next move, but I am sure you question this choice by asking “Am I really ready?” Let’s make this process both fun and easy, and an experience you will forever look back on and smile. Whether you are looking to live in a suburb, or get the downtown experience, we are here every step of the way! We have compiled some ways to know if you’re ready to purchase your first home and in addition, we will give you a detailed link to a list of some of the great areas in the Grand Rapids region.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself about the home buying process before we begin…
- How long have you been thinking of buying a house? A month? Six months?
- How good are you at budgeting your finances? Do you find yourself always struggling? Or are you a super saver?
- What does your credit score look like? *This is important!
- Are you currently employed?
- Do you think you will change careers within the next five years?
- Do you have any loans or debts? Let’s just get those under control, they don’t have to be paid off to buy a home, don’t worry!
- Do you have a lot of monthly expenses and are they essential? Water? Gas? Heating/cooling?
- Could you afford a down payment?
- Where do you see yourself in five years? Hopefully you answer in a house 🙂
- What is your family life like?
If you feel good about all of the above questions, then you are on your way to becoming a home owner. Here are some steps we believe you should take before making that final decision.
- Don’t be forced to buy a house with a credit card if you are in debt, that means you do not have enough money to make this long term commitment!
- Don’t become house poor! Buying a house consists of more payments than just one. Consider closing costs, insurance, taxes and emergency money for any repairs that come along the way.
- In addition to a possible mortgage, be able to pay for property taxes, all of your insurance, any city regulations, and monthly utilities or other bills- it can all add up really fast if you are not prepared!
- It is recommended to be in a steady job when purchasing your first home because you are about to make a long term investment, it’s just easier that way.
- Timing is everything, espeically when it comes to realistic expectations. Do you have what it takes to beat out a competitive field of multiple offers?
For more information, check out our Buyer’s Form so you can become better prepared!
So lastly I ask you, now are you ready to by a home?! We want our future clients to be prepared, and we can help you answer all of these questions if you are confused or unsure if now is the right time. If the timing is off to actually purchase a home, there are always other options such as renting. Let us know how we can help you find that first dream home.
Go in the direction of your dreams.
Go with Steve Volkers Group.